UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 21:03:15 -0400
Ok so I am a little slow (email only 4 days/ week)

Had a Tennessee W (a regular yearly visitor) to the old apples across the
road from our house on Academy Rd in Thet, on Sunday.

A bunch of of birders ventured on friday am to Site # 39 on the " Northern"
Birding Trail map.  Great spot.. the walk is on the X-VT Trail, all RR
grade... farmland, beaver pond, meadows, woods etc great diversity !  Much
of it is conserved.. nice trails. Exit 17 on 91.        We had 46 species in
2.5 hours.  Our 9th yaer doing thiis really special spot.

Highlights:

1 Va Rail singing, pr Hoodies, Least and Gr-cr Flys, R-eVireo, Ho Wrens,
Veery, Hermit and Wood thrs, Gr Catb, 11 warblers: Nashville, No Parula,
Yellow, C-sided, Magnolia, Y-rump, Blacburnian, Pine, BAWW, Ovenbird, Co
Yello-thr, No Waterthrush, Sc Tan, Swamp Sp, G-b Grosb.   some excellent
looks at a bunch of the warblers and many of the others.

Union Village Dam, this am May 18 ; highlights: 1.5 hours walk.

Number of species: 37.. Common Merganser 2, Ho Me 1 F, Ruffed Grouse
1,Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1, Eastern Kingbird 1 ,HouseWren 4, Veery 3, Wood
Thrush 2, Gray Catbird 3, Yellow Warbler 2,Chestnut-sided Warbler 7,
Magnolia Warbler 2, Yellow-rumped Warbler 2, Nashv Wa 1, BlBurn W 1,
Ovenbird 6, Common Yellowthroat 6, Song Sparrow 4, Swamp Sparrow 2,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 4,   plus 1 Brown Creep, 1 Am Bittern, 1 Blh Vireo, 1
De Junco.  4 species of swallow yesterday: 5 minus NRWS.