UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2019, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ian Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2019 18:11:06 -0400
I’m envious. Have only seen them near Storm Mountain woods on the Hudson  River. My wife and I moved from Upper Valley a year ago to Craftsbury Common in the Northeast Kingdom. Almost certainly no Cerulean will make it this far north, but Sibley shows them breeding in all of eastern and central  New Hampshire (but not in Vermont!). Walking in the village here, on the campus of Sterling College, I've seen Oven Bird, Yellow-rumped, Magnolia, Bay-breasted, Cape May, Parula, Yellowthroat, Chestnut-sided, Wilson’s, Yellow warblers and know from a reliable source Pine warblers are also here. Otherwise at our feeders, grackles, red-winged blackbirds, cowbirds, starlings, both nuthatches, chickadees and blue jays, hairy & downies, tons of goldfinch & purples too, hummers, many white-crowned sparrows, song and chipping, evening and rose-breasted grosbeaks, Baltimore orioles and indigo buntings—at the feeders. (The non-feeder list not worth delving into here.) The most sensational arrival has been a male Red-bellied Woodpecker—very far north for him! Greetings from the North. Ian Baldwin