UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2007, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 19:24:12 -0500
A fortuitous stop at Lake Runnemede in Windsor this evening started
off with a Hermit Thrush in the bushes just in from the main road. I
was excited when I saw one Phoebe soon after, but by the time I
reached the lake, I was overwhelmed with Phoebes everywhere I looked!
It seemed as though there was one Phoebe for every 20 feet of
shoreline. I counted 15 in one shot, but there were undoubtedly many
more. They were busy feeding over the water and chasing each other
around. They almost hit me smack in the middle of my forehead and
then a male Northern Harrier came in and was chasing one around
(unsuccessfully). With the waterfowl, Common Loon, and then a
Wilson's Snipe, it was a great time.

Location:   Lake Runnemede
Observation date:   4/8/07
Number of species:   18

American Black Duck   6
Green-winged Teal   4
Ring-necked Duck   21
Common Merganser   1
Common Loon   1
Northern Harrier   1
Wilson's Snipe   1
Downy Woodpecker   1
Eastern Phoebe   15
Blue Jay   1
American Crow   3
Black-capped Chickadee   5
Hermit Thrush   1
American Robin   15
Song Sparrow    1
Dark-eyed Junco   3
Northern Cardinal   3
Red-winged Blackbird   5
Common Grackle   2

Fox Sparrow still hanging out at my house in Hartland.

-Julie