UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2013, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:11:10 -0400
I visited the summit of Okemo Mt. this morning, hoping to find
Bicknell's Thrush (BITH) and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.  I surveyed
thoroughly up and down several ski trails, around the summit itself,
from the top of the fire tower, and back down the work road to the
uppermost parking lot.  I broadcast BITH calls (judiciously) throughout
the entire area but failed to find a single bird.  I'm reasonably
confident none were present, as BITH are rarely unresponsive at this
stage of the breeding season.  I don't want to jump to conclusions on
the basis of a single survey, but it seems that Okemo's BITH population
has taken a nosedive.  We surveyed and mist-netted regularly up there in
the late 1990s and early 2000s, typically finding 6-8 birds.  The
habitat doesn't seem to have changed much, although one regenerating
blowdown area has grown up beyond the point of ideal suitability.

Swainson's Thrushes were singing right up to the summit, but I don't
think that's a new development.  I only heard 2 Blackpolls, but that was
probably due more to my declining hearing in the high register than low
numbers of birds...

I'd be interested if anyone else gets up to Okemo and can keep track of
BITH, or the lack thereof.

Chris

Okemo Mt. summit area
Jun 19, 2013 5:40 AM - 8:00 AM