UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Otto Baun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Otto Baun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:51:11 -0500
Maybe an "oops!" moment for me...

On the bird I saw: I didn't see a crest, the color was grey and I <think> I saw some red in the head region. Plus, it clucked around in a "la-de-da" sort of way I've seen Spruce Grouse do.  I recall hearing them called "Fool's Hens" for how close you can get to them.

When spooked, It leisurely flew up into the branches. I've never walked up onto a Ruff Grouse like that, and they're explosive when they decide to leave.

I didn't get a good look through binoculars, either (or take a photo) I was wrestling with a ladder, half froze into the ground.

I added all those factors up: doesn't  seem like a Ruff, and I've seen Spruce Grouse not <that> far from here.  I put all of that together and assumed: Spruce Grouse.

I didn't realize they're endangered.

Sounds like I assumed wrong...

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Otto

I just checked the area and I did not see the bird.