UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 20:38:39 -0400
I should know by now that the more I bird, the more I will see. The first
few days of August have driven this lesson home. August 8th was the first
day I detected any warbler migration last year. This year I am up to 14
species, including some large numbers. Highlights of the past few days have
included a Yellow-throated Vireo (8/5) and a Tennessee Warbler (8/2 and 8/4,
likely the same bird)...and then today...

At 7:30 this morning the yard was crawling with birds. 9 warblers (including
a FOF Magnolia) and a Warbling Vireo. Unfortunately I had to leave, and
couldn't get home until 5pm.
Almost as an afterthought I decide to check the beaver pond. As I stood near
the edge, a large flock moved around the clearing towards me. As a few birds
got close, I pished a little and was suddenly overwhelmed. In a period of
5-10 minutes, at least 50 birds must have moved by. Some were close enough
to identify without binos, which made things easier, but many others sneaked
by. As a result, my numbers are probably low, even though it may have been
the most warblers I have ever seen while standing still.

Tucker Hill Beaver Pond, Windsor, US-VT
Aug 6, 2011 5:35 PM - 6:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.4 mile(s)
32 species

Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  3
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  2
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  2
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)  1

Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  1      First of the fall (FOF)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Dendroica pensylvanica)  15     only one adult
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Dendroica caerulescens)  10
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica coronata)  3
Black-throated Green Warbler (Dendroica virens)  2
Blackburnian Warbler (Dendroica fusca)  4
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  7
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  2
Canada Warbler (Wilsonia canadensis)  1

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  1
House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)  1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)

A more detailed narrative of the week will be posted on my blog (
http://theflatbill.blogspot.com/) some time tonight, and as always feel free
to email for directions.
Spencer Hardy
Norwich Vt