UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2014, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2014 22:56:18 -0400
Spencer Hardy and I took a run down the Connecticut River in this
morning's chilly drizzle, hoping to find migrant waterfowl.  The best
concentration was on the Ottauquechee River just below the Rt. 5
crossing, and in the still-frozen farm fields to the south, where melt
water has created a sizable pond.   We found a pair of Wood Ducks, >250
Mallards, 18 Am. Black Ducks, an American Wigeon pair, and one male N.
Pintail.  The birds move frequently (as they have all winter) between
the water and expansive manure piles at the far eastern edge of the
fields.  It's a curious sight to see numbers of dabbling ducks
clambering up and down the piles!

At the Ottauquechee River mouth were 20 Am. Black Ducks, 20 Mallards,
and a Ring-necked Duck pair.

I later drove through the Jericho Road-Jericho Street area of Hartford
(still holding out hope for a northbound Snowy Owl or Rough-legged Hawk)
and had 26 Cedar Waxwings feasting on crab apples, 18 Snow Buntings (the
males were in nearly full breeding plumage - very striking - which they
attain through wear rather than actual molt), and a lustily singing
Purple Finch.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer