UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2009, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Christine Maute <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Maute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:43:40 -0400
    Saturday we saw 2 immature eagles eating something sizeable (larger than a
fish) on one of the grass islands in the Connecticut River near the mouth of the
Ompompanusuc River.
    Sunday we saw an immature eagle fluttering above one of the islands. Upon closer
inspection with binoculars we saw that the eagle was actually over a goose in
the river. A second goose flew away. The eagle was trying to grab the remaining
goose who would submerge under the water, come up for air, and immediately submerge
again as the eagle would come down and try to grab it! After a number of attempts,
the eagle flew higher into the air and the goose slowly swam away, looking up
over her head much of the time. This morning the 2 geese could be seen back on
the grassy island. Perhaps they have a nest there?
Intrigue on the Connecticut!
Chris