UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2010, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:38:46 -0400
Around 2 pm Sunday afternoon, I looked out to see nearly a dozen Eastern Bluebirds in my yard.  Both adult and juveniles.   Shortly thereafter, an adult male went to the bird bath and started exaggerated bathing.  Immediately 4 juveniles were watching from the rim.  Then one, two and 4 juveniles joined the parent and it was quite the sight. More Bluebirds joined in... at one point I counted 6 in the birdbath. It went on for at least 15 minutes. (I am not sure there is any water left in the birdbath!) Two Cedar Waxwings joined them in the water, but when an American Goldfinch and female Baltimore Oriole tried to do so, they were chased off by the male Bluebird. At least 6 No. Flickers, a pair of White- throated Sparrows and one female Ruby-throated Hummingbird were also feeding.  Gray Catbirds and Phoebes are still around, but have heard Canada Geese flying overhead for the past 2 days.
Kit