UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2014, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2014 18:45:56 -0400
Would it be unusual for a Peregrine Falcon to be at Kilowatt... s.. Flying over the parking lot? I wasn't even going to bother reaching for Binos on the seat, thinking it's going to be way too fast, when it stalled for a second.. Not time for me to get it in view before it flew off toward town.  I'm not good at identifying Raptors in flight (despite volunteering aT VINS .. Not much flying overhead there).  Noted the broad pointed wings, and feeling of it being a BIG falcon... The tail seemed long but narrow/square, and There seemed to be one band toward the tip.. But I was fumbling for my binos, so I could be wrong.
    I know PEFA's aren't that rare anymore, but I haven't seen any that i've positively identified myself in the field so even the possibility that I happened to just see one is exciting to me!
    Two days ago I think I also may have seen a Kestrel in the same vicinity, but again, too slow with the Bino! Is this too late in the summer for them?

a Sent from my iPhone