UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2007, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Thomas F. Bickel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas F. Bickel
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:24:42 -0400
It was foggy and lightly raining when the group met in Hanover at 6:30, but we decided to head out to Old Dana Road on the west side of Moose Mountain and hope for better conditions. We weren't disappointed, as the rain had stopped and the fog began to lift when we arrived, and before long there were occasional glimpses of sunlight.

We made stops along Dana Road and part way up the road that eventually leads to the towers on Moose Mountain; the list of species seen and/or heard is below. Highlights were the snipe, both calling and doing a long winnowing flight; it was hard to spot while flying but eventually we all saw it; two cuckoos calling back and forth, one quite close to us (though we could never see it); four turkeys very visible in a field, with the male displaying; and two kingbirds vigorously defending their turf against a grackle.

Mallard
Hooded Merganser
Wild Turkey
Wilson's Snipe
Mourning Dove
Black-billed Cuckoo
Barred Owl
Alder Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Bobolink
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle

Other fauna seen were Beaver, Snowshoe Hare, Red Squirrel, Eastern Chipmunk (as well as mosquitos and ticks, happily not too many). The area lived up to its name with moose tracks seen in two different locations.

Thanks to Pip Richens for helping with the list.