UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:13:31 -0400
There was evidence of some migration fall-out along the Connecticut
River today.  I took a brief mid-morning trip between Ledyard and Pompy
Flats and had a few nice finds, the best from the backwater across from
the Rt. 5 gravel pit entrance:

Location:     Ompomanoosuc River  - just south
Observation date:     4/16/10
Number of species:     14

Canada Goose     17
Wood Duck     2
Long-tailed Duck     5 (3 males, 2 females)
Bufflehead     1 male
Common Merganser     1
Red-necked Grebe     3
Great Blue Heron     1
Blue Jay     1
American Robin     1
European Starling     12
Savannah Sparrow     1 singing
Song Sparrow     2
Northern Cardinal     1
Red-winged Blackbird     6

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/vt)

The Long-tailed Ducks were a couple of hundred yards south of the NH
boat launch when last seen and swimming north.  Two of the males are in
alternate (breeding) plumage, the third in basic (winter) plumage, so
the group made for a spectacular sight.  The only birds of note at Pompy
Flats were single pairs of Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers.  The small
pond just north along Rt. 5 had 2 N. Rough-winged Swallows foraging over
the water, with another bird below Ledyard Bridge, where the only water
bird was a male Common Merganser.

Reminder that for anyone interested, I'll be leading an outing along the
river tomorrow morning, meeting at Dan and Whit's in Norwich at 8:00 am
and carpooling from there south to the Wilder Access area, then working
north to Pompy Flats.  I anticipate birding until ~11:00 am.  Weather
forecast is similar to today's -- showery and cool.  It may keep some of
today's good birds in the area and cause a few others to drop down.
Anyone joining the trip should bring warm, waterproof clothing and footwear.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer