UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2023, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jennifer Megyesi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Megyesi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:58:53 -0400
Hi friends and fellow lovers of all things feathered,

I am sure that by now, most of you are aware that there are several rare species being observed regularly at the Foxville Farm stand on Gilman Road in Bethel/Royalton. This is a working farm, owned by Rachel and Jim Bigelow. Both are full-time farmers. Both are active in our community. They have a love of the land and they raise their vegetables using organic methods, which is why this small patch of habitat, where the two branches of the White River converge, is uniquely diverse and attractive to wildlife. They don’t use RoundUp, they don’t plant GMO corn, and they have a thriving farm stand, retail accounts and a CSA. They don’t till a majority of the spent crops in until after frost, or not until the following spring. The weeds and corn stalks are left in the rows, and they serve as major sources of feed and cover for the migrants.

This is not the first time that this site has had rare bird observations and reports. Many of them however, have not been centered within the growing gardens and fields. And while I have visited here for 25 years, I have never seen 17 cars and 25 people on the grounds in search of vagrants. Rachel says that everyone has been pleasant and respectful so far, but I would like to please remind people that this is private land that we have been given permission to access in search of these rare jewels.

Please:

DON”T pick the flowers or vegetables, unless you are planning on paying for them.
DON’T bring your dog.
DON’T leap over the fall lettuces or sweet peppers to get the best views of a bird.
DON’t park in the farm stand parking lot, unless you’re planning on purchasing some of the beautiful produce for sale. There is a parking lot for general access on either side of the bridge, along with portapotties, and you can walk to the stand.

Please:

DO support their farm stand. It’s one of just a handful existing in the immediate area that we frequent as a community. She takes cash, check or VENMO.
DO go to lunch or purchase locally-grown, locally butchered meat at the original Fox stand, the brick building just before the bridge. It’s now called Roma’s and is entirely managed by women.
DO venture to the town of South Royalton, 3 miles south off of RT 14,  where there is a co-op full of local offerings, a coffee shop, a deli, the Worthy Burger and Carlita’s Cantina.

Thank you for respecting this magical place, where birds feel save to fuel up on their journey south, and where we are welcomed by the stewards of this land to watch them without restriction.

happy birding!  jenn

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]