UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2010, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:24:08 -0500
Today Ed Hack and I birded along the Connecticut River on the Vermont
side between Wilder and Pompy and found 26 bird species. In
association with the continued melting of ice cover along the river,
waterfowl were found to be widely distributed.

Species found in small numbers at multiple sites along the river
included Canada Geese, Hooded Mergansers, and Common Mergansers. Three
Wood Ducks were on the New Hampshire side of the river to the south of
Wilson's Landing in Hanover. In the Pompy area two Bald Eagles were
perched in a tree on the New Hampshire side of the river. Nearby in
Norwich were a Red-tailed Hawk flying over and a Song Sparrow singing
by Kendall Station Road.

Other species we found at multiple sites along the way included
Mallards, American Tree Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Common
Grackles. An American Robin was chasing Cedar Waxwings away from
fruits alongside Route 5 just south of Pompy.

Five species today provided my first records for 2010 from Norwich:
Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, and Song
Sparrow.

Two additional species for the day but found only in the backyard
feeding area in Norwich village were a White-throated Sparrow and a
male Brown-headed Cowbird.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT