UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2011, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 20:41:49 -0400
May 2011 will be one for the record books. Well at least for me, if not the
entire county. Thinking back to May 1st, which seems like eons ago, there
were still redpolls on Bragg Hill. Redpolls weren't the only good bird in
this part of Norwich that day. I arrived home (from a morning of birding) to
a Golden-crowned Sparrow. It turned out to be a one-day-wonder, but was seen
and photographed by at least 7 others (thanks to cell phones). Belittled by
the sparrow, a Northern Goshawk and an Eastern Towhee made an appearance at
our house that day. I would never have imaged that a second state record
would not be the best bird of the month!

After this phenomenal start to the month, things didn't really slow down. As
of now 171 species and nearly 750 checklist have submitted to ebird for
Windsor County. May 2010 had 144 species and 440 checklist. This could be
the single birdest month in the history of Windsor County.

It has been a month of quality as well as quantity.

Highlights include:
Common Eider- first in 30 years, second ever for the county
White-winged Scoter- at least 3 groups, none last year
Lesser Scaup- none last year
Semipalmated Plover- more than a dozen, none last year
Bicknell's Thrush- almost a first for the county :)

Black Terns, Golden-winged Warblers, Long-tailed Ducks, Black-billed
Cuckoos, Whip-poor-will, and nesting Red-bellied Woodpeckers and Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers.

Last but not least, Vermont got a new bird yesterday. Two Marbled Godwits
across from Pompy Farms. They were feeding on the mudflats with geese and
Mallards, on the Vermont side of the river. They were gone with in an half
hour of being located. George Clark arrived in time to see them, but Bill
and Will Shepard missed them by a matter of minutes (so sorry). As much as
we hated to see them go, it gave an opportunity to erase any lingering
doubts about the identification. The entire time we were watching the birds
seemed a little restless. They preened and stretched, allowing brief views
of the underwing coverts. Additional features that were used in the ID
include the orange upper half of the bill and the overall buff color.

The two birds appeared to be a pair. The bill of one bird (likely a female)
was noticeably longer and I never saw them more than a few feet apart.

Pictures have been posted, BUT be warned. They were taken with a cell phone
on the highest power in low light. You might have to use you imagination a
little bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36866981@N03/5781558508/in/pool-929116@N20/

Explaining why any and all these vagrants turned up is complete guessing
game.
The 12 species of shorebird this month is in part related to the low water
levels on the Connecticut River. They have been very low on and off this
month, which gives shorebirds a place to land (and birders an excuse to
bird).

Another explanation would be the County Quest. As many of us have
experienced first hand, it has revamped birdwatching in Vermont. The time
some of us have spent birding is simply unhealthy (Ed Hack). While it may be
hurting our citizen lives, it has certainly had an enormous impact on the
county bird list.

A more typical explanation might evolve the weather. It has been a weird
weather month. The heavy rains and supper hot days seem a little extreme. I
can only guess, but it is possible the godwits were blown here by the same
weather system that brought the White Pelican (in Killington).

Forgive the excessive length, but I am a little hyped up...on birds.

Spencer Hardy
Norwich VT

And thanks to ebird for adding meaning to all these wonderful sightings.