UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Sara Eisenhauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara Eisenhauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:31:56 -0400
A windy day at Lake Morey, but no rain.  A lot of bird activity; I went looking for the Ruddy Duck that was reported, but no luck.
However, I did see/hear something that I am really unsure of: Brants (?)
Just as I was getting in my car, a flock of 6 geese-like birds flew over.  At first I thought they were just CAGOs, until I heard
their calls.  I immediately reached in my car for my binos, but they were already halfway down the lake (they never touched down).  I did get a partial glimpse,
but the light was dimming, so it was not a clear view.  I did notice that their necks were shorter than a Canada Goose.  The calls were
what really caught my attention - I am very familiar with the sounds of Brants, for I have seen hundreds of them on the coast many times.
Is this highly unlikely that I saw/heard these birds so far inland (perhaps I was imagining things)?  And has this ever been documented in Orange county before??
As you can see below, I didn't list them, because I just wasn't 100% sure.  On a different note, there were loads of Yellow-rumped Warblers, I couldn't keep count!

Sara - Hartland, VT