UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2018, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2018 19:21:40 -0400
OK so I am on Cape Cod (I am doing some work on my Mom's house)

But one does "have" to go birding !!  here’s is the list from eBird. Pretty handy (I just learned from Kathy T.) how to do this.

South Beach and sort of North Monomoy is an IBA, a WHSRN site, and a fun place to bird. I hired a boat shuttle and the tide was going out (not the best case scenario).

He "dropped" me off in water, literally up to my waist.  Then as I walked it got shallower, 0.5 mile in the water just to get to land.  Fun !
eBird Report - South Beach, Chatham, Oct 1, 2018

South Beach, Chatham, Barnstable, Massachusetts, US Oct 1, 2018 8:45 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling  4.0 mile(s)
Comments:     71 degrees for a high. Walked !!  Waded through lots of water.  Good birds. Great weather !!
20 species

American Black Duck  2
Common Eider  1
American Oystercatcher  8     None with leg bands.
Black-bellied Plover  125
Semipalmated Plover  6
Red Knot  3     Superb looks.  Got good pics with cell phone through scope. Fall plumage.
Sanderling  80
Dunlin  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  4
Greater Yellowlegs  5
Laughing Gull  12
Ring-billed Gull  80     Just a guess.....lots
Herring Gull  350     Lots.....everywhere. Many plumages.
Lesser Black-backed Gull  15     Great looks through scope. Even some good pictures thru scope. Nice comparison to the other Greats and Herrings around them.
						  Yellowlegs and yellowfeet !!  Smaller bird.
Great Black-backed Gull  40     an estimate.
Double-crested Cormorant  500     Most at a fair distance.  Many !!!!!  Herds !!
Great Blue Heron  2
Snowy Egret  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Tree Swallow  40     Estimate....they funneled by fairly regularly.

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]