UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2012 14:01:17 -0400
Similar to last week, avian activity on the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline was
pronounced on Monday evening and yesterday morning.  A brief evening
thunderstorm chased the VCE team into our cars, but the sunset and
moonrise that followed were spectacular.  Bicknell's Thrush
vocalizations were in high gear, with birds calling and singing
sporadically throughout the morning.  We mist-netted 10 birds, including
3 new (unbanded) males and a 10 year-old male that we banded in 2003 as
a yearling.  A nice surprise was a juvenile N. Saw-whet Owl captured at
dusk, and found again the next morning thanks to mobbing chickadees.
Non-local birds in our nets included an immature Eastern Phoebe, 3
Hermit Thrushes (2 free-flying juveniles and a yearling male), and an
adult female Ovenbird. Fledglings of several species were in evidence:
Am. Robins, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Winter Wrens, Yellow-rumped
Warblers, and Dark-eyed Juncos.  A singing Common Yellowthroat at 3800
ft elevation was definitely out of habitat!

Swainson's Thrushes seem to be less abundant than they were earlier in
June, though still far more common than 5-10 years ago, with both fewer
singing and captured in our nets.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer