UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2009, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 17:39:20 -0500
Below are our lists for stops between Wilder Dam and Pompy. Nothing
exotic on the water, but Cedar Waxwings were nearly everywhere we went.
The excursion's highlights were at Wilder Dam:  45 minutes studying an
adult Peregrine Falcon perched in a nearby tree, appearing to have just
had 'lunch' (photo link below). Peregrines are rather uncommon along the
Conn. River in December.

While watching this bird an adult Bald Eagle flew by, heading upstream.

We don't ever recall seeing the river lower than it was at midday today.
Virtually no birds seen at Pompy.

Also, the collared-dove was not visible at Dunn's, and Dianne says that
it hasn't been seen for several days.

Spencer & Doug Hardy, Norwich

Location:     Wilder Dam
Observation date:     12/5/09
Notes:     overcast, calm, 35-40°F
Number of species:     11

American Black Duck     1
Mallard     3
Hooded Merganser     3
Common Merganser     1
Bald Eagle     1 adult, bright white head and tail
*Peregrine Falcon*     1 adult
  phonescoped image on Vermont eBird pool (flickr)
  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/36866981@N03/4160503875/in/pool-929116@N20>

Downy Woodpecker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Blue Jay     4
Cedar Waxwing     20
American Goldfinch     1

Location:     Ledyard Bridge Area- CT River, Norwich
Observation date:     12/5/09
Notes:     exceptionally low water; light snow
Number of species:     8

Canada Goose     197     ± 5
Mallard     41
Hooded Merganser     12
Common Merganser     1
Rock Pigeon     3
American Crow     3
Black-capped Chickadee     2
Cedar Waxwing     30
Location: Sheltered bay on CT river, just downstream from Pompy

Observation date:     12/5/09
Notes:     snowing
Number of species:     2

Hooded Merganser     30