UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2010, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Anne Mitts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Mitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:19:06 -0400
Hello All,    I thought I would share something with you all. I have been having
trouble for months keeping the squirrels out of my bird feeders. No matter
what I have tried with my feeders, the squirrels get to them. I stopped feeding
for the summer and I have just recently put one feeder out again and of
course, the squirrels who went away when the feeders came down were right
back when the feeder went up.
I tried getting one of those shepherds crooks thinking they wouldn't be able to
climb it. Well, I was wrong. They were able to go right up. Then I remembered
what a friend did to deter the squirrels. She had a wire that went from a tree
to her house. The wire was strung through empty plastic soda bottles. She
hung her feeders between the bottles and the squirrels could not walk to them
without falling off.
What I did was a bit different. I still wanted to use this hook that I had spent
$20.00 on so I decided to take the soda bottles (2 liter) and cut the top and
bottom off and place them over the hook and down the pole. I have them
going almost all the way to the hook part. So far so good. The squirrels have
tried to climb the feeder but the bottles are slippery, noisy and unstable and
not good for climbing. I bought a short cheap feeder so the squirrels can't
jump up and hold on to the bottom of it. Instead of filling my feeder daily, I am
now filling it two to three a week. I was afraid I wouldn't get to feed the birds
this year because it was getting so expensive but now I can. I will be putting
up another feeder with thistle soon.
To see a picture of this feeder, you can go to my blog at
http://emeraldsnaturepics.blogspot.com/
Have a great day!    Anne