UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2016, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peggy Madden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Madden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2016 13:50:13 -0400
A few days ago I heard a strange hissing in the woods up behind the
second pond at Runnemede. I had my binos, so tried and succeeded in
finding an owl up fairly high. I couldn't identify it, but thought I
could figure it out from the sound. It didn't look like a Barred Owl, so
I didn't search that at first, but after searching through other native
owls, I went back to Barred and found the correct sound. I couldn't
figure out why it didn't look like a Barred - and it certainly wasn't
big enough, until the next morning when I saw a post about some baby GH
Owls which were described as fluffy bundles of feathers. Then I finally
realized it was a juvie BO. Yesterday I was up there without binos, and
heard the sound again. I found the owls, but wanted a better sighting.
Hiked back to the car, a mile of so, drove to the other side of the
park, hiked back in a little over half a mile with binos and a recorder,
which were in my car. Clearly saw an adult BO with 2 chicks. They look
like big fluff balls! Too dark in the woods for a photo. Posted the
sound on ebird, but not sure it's playing correctly. Here's a link to
the sound if you want to try it.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29990368&share=true

Peggy

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]