UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2012 19:03:25 -0400
Today Ed Hack and I found more than 65 bird species in southeastern
Windsor County, VT. Among notable birds were the following:

1) a calling Ring-necked Pheasant seen off Ferry Road in Weathersfield
Bow, VT. (Perhaps this bird might have originated from stock released
for hunting in nearby NH?)
2) a repeatedly calling Willow Flycatcher ("Fitz bew") in Hartland,
VT, by the commuter parking lot at Exit 9 off I-91.
3) an Eastern Wood-Pewee (white wing bars, no eye ring, and yellowish
lower mandible, all seen) off Ferry Road in Weathersfield Bow.
4) at least a half dozen Cedar Waxwings at the North Springfield (VT)
airport. This species has been somewhat scarce lately in much of the
Upper Valley. There often seems to be an influx into the area in the
latter part of May.
5) a repeatedly singing Tennessee Warbler by Lake Runnemede in
Windsor, VT
6) a singing Northern Waterthrush off Ferry Road in Weathersfield Bow.
7) 2 White-crowned Sparrows together off Ferry Road in Weathersfield
Bow.
8) male and female Orchard Orioles together off Ferry Road in
Weathersfield Bow. The male of this pair was a mature bird with a
striking dark chestnut and black coloration. Although we have
previously seen immature male Orchard Orioles on a number of occasions
in Windsor County, this was the first time that either of us had seen
a mature male in the county.

George Clark
Norwich, VT