UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2012, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cecelia Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cecelia Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:08:55 -0500
Michael T. Quinn ( [log in to unmask]  ) who is on our list, and I, both from Windsor,, have been coming up with a few immediate plansto see if we can assist the injured Canada geese on the west side of Lake Runnemede. We feel it is worth making a try.
Michael has spread out some whole corn, 10-15 lbs, near the shore by the pump house where goose droppings were seen on the grass.He put this under some Honey Locust trees near the water where he thought they might get out of the water. If any of you go by and noticetracks or see the corn has gone, please report about that too. He is willing to pitch in for corn money--and if this continues, anyone else couldcontribute too. He paid $13 for 50 lbs, if I remember right, from the Hartland feed store at a farm on Route 5.
If any of you can see their wings well or have a camera on your scope and want to photograph them, would you please send those along?VINS will take those birds in (I won't discuss any rescue plans as that is getting ahead of things and may not happen) IF their injuries are  not "above the elbow with necrosis". My personal guess is that at least one does have an injury above the elbow, but as for necrosis, I think they have been surviving out there for months and any open wounds have probably healed by now.
Please communicate to either/both of us if you have any photos, observations, or, of course, feelings you'd like to share about the geese.
Thank you!
Cecelia