UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 22:34:10 -0400
My husband and I did our own little birdathon on Sunday on our
property and near where we live in West Norwich and Dewey's Mills pond
in Quechee.
Here are the results as reported to ebird:

Location:     05055 West Norwich
Observation date:     5/17/09
Notes:     Husband Wayne and I did mini-birdathon
Number of species:     35

Canada Goose     4   beaver pond  One pair now has 5 goslings
Mallard     2     beaver pond
Common Merganser     1     white river
Wild Turkey     2     near white river
Spotted Sandpiper     1     beaver pond
Rock Pigeon     5     near white river
Mourning Dove     3  home
Barred Owl     2     Possible nesting pair home
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     3  home
Belted Kingfisher     1     beaver pond
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     3 home
Downy Woodpecker     2 home
Hairy Woodpecker     2     Have a nest in hole in tree near home. Can
hear chicks
Eastern Phoebe     2     nests built but not yet used
Red-eyed Vireo     1 home
Blue Jay     2  home
Tree Swallow     8     beaver pond
Cliff Swallow     1     beaver pond
Black-capped Chickadee     7     1 pair possibly nesting in birdhouse
Tufted Titmouse 1 home
Red-breasted Nuthatch     1 home
White-breasted Nuthatch     1 home
Hermit Thrush     2  home
Wood Thrush     1
American Robin     1     nest in pine-probably robin. Found 1 broken
eggshell. Lots of jays and squirrels around  home
Black-throated Green Warbler     1 home
Black-and-white Warbler     1 home
Ovenbird     2     much singing  home
Scarlet Tanager     2     much singing and "talk"
Dark-eyed Junco     1  home
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     11     Large flock-some likely from last year
have photos of stages of molt
Baltimore Oriole     1 home
Purple Finch     1 home
Pine Siskin     2     still here from winter
American Goldfinch     5 home
Evening Grosbeak     8     Mature? female begging and being fed by
mature adult male? (Mating ritual?- last year's juvenile?)  home

Location:     Dewey's Mills Quechee Vt.
Observation date:     5/17/09
Notes:     Mini-birdathon with husband
Number of species:     14

Canada Goose     4     mating/fighting behavior
Mallard     10 (1 female and 9 ducklings)
Least Sandpiper     4
Belted Kingfisher     1
Eastern Phoebe     1
Eastern Kingbird 1
American Crow 2
Black-capped Chickadee     2
American Robin     2
Yellow Warbler     3
Black-throated Green Warbler     1
Common Yellowthroat     2
Savannah Sparrow     2
Red-winged Blackbird     5
Common Grackle 1
Baltimore Oriole 3- 1 f seen, 2 m fighting, 1 m feeding at nest hanging in tree.
American Goldfinch     3

10:30 AM-7 PM

Total Species: 43 or 44

(Maybe a Northern Waterthrush-need i.d. help.)
Also need verification on Cliff Swallow from photo.

 Have photos of many species listed.
Conspicuously missing:

Usually see/hear Winter Wren and Veery at home by now. Also probably
missed Indigo Bunting and misc warblers.

Cynthia Crawford and Wayne Cripps

I guess you're supposed to get sponsors before you go out... but if
anyone wants to send a contribution to Vermont Center for Ecostudies
(VCE)  -whatever price per bird you like, I'm sure they wouldn't
refuse. Just mention our names, and I will submit an official report
as well. We will also send our own contribution.
 Send a check to VCE, PO Box 420, Norwich, VT 05055.

--
Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities
Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints