UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:42:45 -0400
Today Ed Hack and I looked for birds in Windsor County, VT, mainly
along a Route 5 corridor south of Exit 9 of I-91. On the eastern side
of a harvested corn field at Springfield Meadows, highlights included
a Greater White-fronted Goose with a yellow-orange bill and two Snow
Geese. On Lake Runnemede in the town of Windsor, a highlight was a
pair of seemingly fatigued Gadwalls, which were frequently in sleeping
postures during our observations.

Among other birds encountered today were numerous Canada Geese with at
least 400 at Springfield Meadows and 210 at Lake Runnemede. Hooded and
Common Mergansers were seen in scattered locations. A flying adult
Bald Eagle carrying a stick was in Windsor along Route 5 to the south
of the intersection with Route 44. Red-tailed Hawk was seen at
Springfield Meadows and along Marton Road in Windsor. Song Sparrows
were singing both at Springfield Meadows and by Lake Runnemede.

George Clark
Norwich, VT