UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:45:39 -0400
Today, under cloudy skies and with a cool breeze, Ed Hack and I looked
from Vermont at birds around Kilowatt Park South in the Wilder section
of Hartford and at locations in Norwich.

Waterbird highlights at Kilowatt Park South included a Double-crested
Cormorant (a second cormorant was seen there when I revisited the area
later today) and a female scaup.

South of the Ledyard Bridge between Hanover and Norwich, numerous
swallows were flying about over the river and included at least 40
Tree Swallows, at least 2 Rough-winged Swallows, and at least 4 Barn
Swallows.

In the area by Pompy Farm, some highlights included 4 Green-winged
Teal, a Great Blue Heron, 6 Tree Swallows, a Barn Swallow, and a
singing Brown Thrasher.

Numerous swallows, but no additional species of swallows, were seen
flying over the Connecticut River across from the mouth of the
Ompompanoosuc River.

At the largely submerged Pompy flats, 22 Double-crested Cormorants
were swimming and diving. Only a few minutes later, while on nearby
Kendall Station Road in Norwich, we saw what was almost certainly this
same cormorant flock in flight, headed off in an apparently northward
direction.

George Clark
Norwich, VT