UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bob Heitzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Heitzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:25:12 -0400
With dark skies to the north and rain to the south, today's birding was kept to Thetford & Fairlee.

Observed and digiscoped a female Ruddy Duck near the north end of Lake Morey, in the vicinity of Camp Lanakila, from 11:40 - Noon; she was keeping close company with a family(?) of Double-crested Cormorants.  Parked on the east shore of the lake, near the north end, where there's a pull-off on both sides and a lot missing its house.
This was my first attempt at digiscoping, and was done without proper mounts, so the image quality is not great; I will post to Vermont eBird group on Flickr.

When I returned to my car at 1:30, only 1 cormorant could be seen.

Lake Morey, 10:40am - 1:30pm
5 Double-crested Cormorant
1 Ruddy Duck (female)
1 Common Loon
5 Blue Jay
1 Common Raven
2 American Crow
12 Black-capped Chickadee
5 Red-breasted Nuthatch
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
2 Cedar Waxwing
4 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
2 White-throated Sparrow
2 American Goldfinch.

Union Village Dam - Mystery Trail & North end, 8:50-10:50am
4 Blue Jay
2 Common Raven
8 American Robin
1 Ruffed Grouse