UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:36:18 -0400
Here is a "documentation-quality" photo (i.e., lousy) of Ed's Ibis.
Don't be fooled by the photo though... for this bird's plumage is
spectacular:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/36866981@N03/5650685813/in/pool-vtebird>
The page contains a map of the sighting location.

Earlier in the day we heard crows creating a commotion above Lake
Runnemede (Evarts Pond) at Paradise Park in Windsor. Spencer
investigated and found at least 4 crows mobbing a barred owl. They were
holding nothing back in their effort to chase off the owl, including
what appeared to be direct strikes. The owl was seen briefly hanging
upside down from it's perch, and then appeared to fall to the forest
floor. At this point the crows departed and the owl calmly sat watching
us (see photo below). We were a bit relieved to see the owl fly off
through the forest after ~10 minutes, apparently uninjured.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/36866981@N03/5651709432/in/photostream>

Doug & Spencer Hardy with George Clark, Norwich