UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2008, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 06:05:21 -0400
Birdathon   May 18th 2008
Herrick's Cove, Allens Marsh, XXX Road (new site ! details w/ map) and
around Thetford

Fine day for some birding. Had to "go it alone" this year, except for the
local Thetford adventures w/ family. I was up at 3:45 and started birding~
4:45.  With a Sora.

Always amazed what I/we do not get abroad, and do find at home: Hummer, Ea
Bluebird, Hermit Thrush, Pileated, Indigo Bunting. Local walks are always
productive (at a new CRBT site). BTBW, Winter Wren. usu more new ones.
Solitary (2) in Thet.

Highlights:
Certainly the Blue-winged Warbler was the best. I watched it for quite
awhile. This is at a new CRBT site in Windsor. Really an excellent site.
This male was very patient, fed slowly, was prominent and visible in an old
orchard. He sang his beeee-zzzz.  When his did the zz, his tail sputtered !!
Way rad (cool).    Prairie W nearby, also Wilson's Snipe.

Herrick's Cove is always a must !  ~300 Least Sandpipers !!   24 Semi-palm
Plovers,  4 Lesser Yellowlegs.   Yell-thr Vireo (good looks), BGGnatcatcher,
Marsh Wren, Canada W, Pine W, WC Sparrow. No Waterthr.  Louisiana WT and a
bank of BASwallows near Herrick's.

(the cut and paste list in philo order) American Bittern, Great Blue Heron,
Turkey Vulture, Wood Duck,, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, American
Kestrel, Ruffed Grouse, Killdeer, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper,
Wilson's Snipe, Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Belted Kingfisher,
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker Willow
Flycatchers, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Great-crested Flycatcher,
Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-throated Vireo, Red-eyed, and Warbling Vireo,
Common Raven, Barn Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Boreal Chickadee, Winter Wren,
Eastern Bluebird, Veery, Hermit Thrushes, Wood Thrush, Gray Catbird, Cedar
Waxwing, Nashville, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated Blue,
Black-throated Green, Yellow-rumped, Blackburnian, Pine, Black-and-white,
Canada Warblers, American Redstart, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush, Common
Yellowthroat, Scarlet Tanager, Field Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Song
Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting,
Bobolink, Baltimore Oriole.

Good day (slightly tired)  97 species.

Checked by AVG.
9:31 AM