UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2007, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"J. Langevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Langevin
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:50:44 -0500
    I went out on my deck about 9:15 this PM.  I realized it was too late to hear the Wood Thrush that had been singing earlier this afternoon.  I did notice the fireflies though and thought I might see a bat or two.   Way off in the distance I hear a Whip-poor-will.  I stayed out there for a while, then came in to turn down the tv.  I could hear it even though the neighbor's dog was noisy, cars went by on 4A, a plane flew overhead, and the tree frogs started their calling.
    I believe the bird to be in the Grafton Pond and Ford Hill area.  The call was faint but distinct. The bird was definitely
persistant.
    We moved here in June of 84 and I thought then that I would surely hear a Whip-poor-will.  I believe that a few years ago someone noted hearing one in the Bog Road/ George Pond area.
    At Grafton Pond this afternoon a M  RT Hummingbird did not disappoint.  He came to his perch on the highest leafless branch of the apple tree at the boat launch.  I have seen him there twice before.  The geese are still there with their two goslings.  Did not see or hear any loons.
    J. Langevin
    Enfield Center