UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 10:48:53 -0400
Yesterday, Spencer and I concluded our 24-hour Birdathon for VCE (our
locally-based Vermont Center for Ecostudies). This is an event we look
forward to doing each year, as we are incredibly fortunate to have such
an organization in the Upper Valley.

We again focused our efforts close to home (Norwich), and this year
traveled only by bikes (~50 miles) and on foot (~4 miles). Our 2010
findings are especially interesting because a group of us is undertaking
a Quest to identify as many species within the town as possible; setting
out on the Birdathon, we had a clear picture of what species have been
around, and where: <http://www.vtecostudies.org/quest/>.

Yesterday's howling wind certainly reduced afternoon bird activity, as
expected. Less anticipated was that virtually no migrant species were to
be found within Norwich yesterday. It was a fascinating lesson in how
migration is not a uniform, steady phenomenon, sometimes spatially
variable and sometimes more synchronous. Birding might be less exciting
if sightings were more predictable!

At any rate, our total of 90 species is less than we hoped for, but
probably not bad considering the high wind and lack of migrants. Here
are a few noteworthy observations:
  + only 14 warbler species, less than we've found some years on our
road alone
  + very fine looks at some warblers not often observed well (esp. good
this year:  Blackburnian, La waterthrush)
  + All Canada geese observed were still on eggs (not often the case
here in mid-May)
  + brief sighting by Spencer of a likely Golden Eagle (see note below)
  + Black-billed Cuckoo, first for the area in 2010
  + apparent nest building by Cliff Swallows, in 2 locations. Great to
see, after no known Norwich breeding in the past few years!

Lastly, a quick note on the big eagle. Spencer has seen this species
elsewhere, and was mostly comfortable with his quick ID. One tool he
later used to help convince himself was viewing YouTube videos. This
allowed him to look only at views showing the same perspective that he
saw, which was streaming overhead and then away.

Doug & Spencer Hardy