UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:30:30 -0400
Having followed the recent string of reports on the Hanover golf course
Merlins, at 8:30 am this morning I checked the Wilder boat landing,
where Kent McFarland and I had watched a Merlin pair nest-building on
April 10.  Subsequent visits during May by both of us, and other
observers, had not produced additional sightings of the pair, leading me
to wonder if they had failed to nest.  However, I hadn't been back there
since mid-May to check.

This morning, two juveniles were perched quietly on a large dead pine
snag across the river from the boat landing.  I waited for 15 minutes in
hopes that an adult would come by to feed them, but none did.   From the
concrete abutment at the end of the point just below the boat landing,
the snag is slightly upriver on the NH shore, below a cluster of large
emergent pines on a bluff above, which is where Kent and I observed the
nest in April.  We had seen one of the adults perched on the same snag
in April, so it is probably a good spot to search for them.  Since the
young have obviously fledged, the family may not stay around long.

In addition to 15 Mallards, there was also a female or young Blue-winged
Teal along the NH shore.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer