UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:17:48 -0400
This morning Ed Hack and I looked for birds in Norwich, VT. Some
highlights follow.

Our first stop was on Tucker Hill Road where we greatly benefitted
from having Spencer and Doug Hardy along with us. In the old beaver
pond area we were treated to nice views of a variety of species
including 2 Pileated Woodpeckers flying over, Eastern Wood-Pewees.
Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Green,
and Blackburnian Warblers, American Redstart, and Common Yellowthroat.
A few Bobolinks, presumably migrants, were heard calling while flying
over.

Ed and I then checked a few Norwich locations on or near the
Connecticut River. A Green-winged Teal was present with Mallards, 2
Black Ducks, 2 Great Blue Herons, a Belted Kingfisher, and 3 Barn
Swallows at Pompy. Despite a moderate exposure of mud flats at Pompy,
we found no shorebirds there, possibly because of a Peregrine Falcon,
seen soon after our arrival. On Hogback Road, alongside the fields of
the Pirouette Horse Farm, a Savannah Sparrow was seen with a flock of
Chipping Sparrows. Highlights along nearby Campbell Flats Road
included roughly 90 Canada Geese foraging in a field, a flock of 16
Turkey Vultures in the air, a Killdeer. and a flock of numerous
European Starlings, most of which were young birds showing various
stages of transition between the bland plumage of juveniles and the
dramatically patterned first mature plumage.

Other species on or near the Connecticut River this morning included a
couple of Hooded Mergansers, 2 Wood Ducks, and a number of Eastern
Kingbirds.

George Clark
Norwich, VT