UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2014 15:47:00 -0400
This morning, about 11 participants enjoyed a bird walk arranged by
the West Fairlee Conservation Commission in the Brushwood conservation
area of West Fairlee, VT. Special thanks go to Geoffrey Gardner as an
organizer and guide. Conditions at the start by the Brushwood kiosk
were overcast with a threat of continuing showers, but, happily,
clearing gradually ensued as the morning progressed. We walked
primarily along trails through upland deciduous forest habitat with
many magnificent trees, numerous spring wildflowers of a variety of
kinds on the forest floor, and, at one outlook, a view through the
trees of New Hampshire's Presidential Range in the White Mountains as
seen from the Presidential Trail of the Brushwood. Highlights included
a background of bird song extending throughout our walk and featuring
especially Red-eyed Vireos, Ovenbirds, and Black-throated Blue
Warblers, but with contributions from time to time by numerous other
woodland species as we moved through the forest. A complete list of
the 25 bird species can be seen at
http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/view/checklist?subID=S18536191

George Clark
Norwich, VT