UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:51:29 -0400
VCE's final mist-netting foray to the Mansfield ridgeline on Monday
evening and Tuesday morning featured fine weather, a full moon, and
stellar avian activity.  As is usual in mid-September, Bicknell's
Thrushes showed a resurgence of vocal activity.  Calling was frequent,
especially at dusk and dawn, and several birds sang.  Kent McFarland
even heard dusk flight songs.  With only 15 nets, we ended up with an
all-time single-visit record of 20 Bicknell's Thrush captures - 13
immatures (young-of-the-year) and 7 adults (5 retraps from earlier in
the summer).  Most responded strongly to playback, suggesting that all
age classes may be prospecting for turf and/or mates in anticipation of
being back on the mountain next spring.  We know site fidelity of both
adult males and females is strong (60-65% from one year to the next), so
it may make sense for individuals to make their presence known just
prior to migrating south.

Other birds banded:
Swainson's Thrush   2
Hermit Thrush   1
Blackpoll Warbler   6
Yellow-rumped Warbler   10
White-throated Sparrow   2

Other birds captured but not banded:
Sharp-shinned Hawk   1 immature male
Red-eyed Vireo   2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet   2
Ovenbird   1
Black-throated Blue Warbler   6
Black-throated Green Warbler   3
Dark-eyed Junco   4

Miscellaneous sightings:
Common Raven   16 cavorting over and around the summit, the most we have
ever seen together in 20 years working on Mansfield
Cedar Waxwing   12+
Golden-crowned Kinglet   4
White-winged Crossbill   6 calling overhead

A memorable finale to our 2011 field season!

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies