UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:54:31 -0400
The September Quest walk happened here on Saturday. It was a beautiful day,
but the birds were rather disappointing. One bird of note was a dead
Ovenbird. It was found in the road, just below a power line. Given that it
was still limp and no cars had driven the road all morning, we guessed that
it collided with the lines on its way down from last nights migration. It
also happens the be the latest Ovenbird I have seen in Vermont.

This morning was better, but still seemed a little slow. No one flock with
more than a few species, but a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher was great to see.
This species was long over due. The last couple years I have found this
species by the end of August. I did have YBFL on this same date last year.

The Hummingbird also ties my all time latest.

Spencer Hardy
Norwich

Tucker Hill Beaver Pond, Windsor, US-VT
Sep 18, 2011 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Area
10.0 ac
23 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  X     heard only
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  1     migrating due south
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  1     flyby, seen briefly
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius)  1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (Empidonax flaviventris)  1     Seen well, solid
orange lower mandible, uniform face, and overall very greenish
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  3
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  10
Common Raven (Corvus corax)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  10
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  2
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  6
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  1

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  2
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata)  3
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  3

Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  3     1 immature, 1 breeding, 1
non-breeding
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)