UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:47:15 -0500
This morning at ~8:30 I observed a pair of birds at the edge of Beaver
Meadow Road ~4-5 miles out from Norwich, just before the road drops down
into West Norwich and near the intersection with Stagecoach Road. As the
birds flew up in front of our car, the most prominent marking on the
reddish male was a pronounced and bright red rump patch. When perched,
the bills looked relatively thick, and the birds overall size was about
right for pine grosbeaks. Unfortunately (and atypically) I did not have
binos along. Other species considered, and deemed less similar to what I
saw, are Purple Finch and Red Crossbills.

The birds were not present at ~3 when Spencer dashed off in search of
them, but anyone passing by this section of road should keep an eye out.
Spencer reports seeing suitable food and habitat there.

Doug Hardy