UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2023, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2023 07:20:04 -0400
Janet and I woke to an epic bird battle. First a little context. Last summer I wanted to teach my 2 grandsons a little carpentry. We built a bluebird house. We had fun. It was August and we had no takers. The pole I had attached to the house was too short but all I had. This past March, a pair of bluebirds started visiting it. They come and go but never settle. Then during much of April and May we would hear bluebirds throughout the farm but no interest.

I replaced my inadequate pole with a very expensive one hoping that if I upscaled the pole, I would interest them. This past week a pair, actually 3 tree swallows have taken up residence it appears. However, last night after singing all day, a male bluebird settled on the roof seeming quite content. Then it happened! This morning at 6:34 the bluebird was sitting on the top of the house when 3 tree swallows dived bombed and dive bombed. The bluebird stood its ground . . . for a while. Finally, the bluebird and a swallow tumbled off the house in a dizzying, tumbling, aerial bird bird fight leaving the bluebird on a feeder and the tree swallows in control of the house. End of episode 1.

Yesterday we witnessed another epic bird battle. We were looking at a scarlet tanger when we heard the telltale shriek  of a Red Tailed Hawk. It was being chased by 4-5 crows. We had seen this kind of activity before. However, what was of note was as the crows cawed out, more crows appeared from all compass points responding to their cry’s for assistance. Over several minutes crows from all over Post Mills appeared until there were somewhere between 30-40 crows. They landed in an around tall pines where the hawk had taken refuge. This cawing continued unabated for the next 45 minutes. The red tailed called out at least one more time. We don’t know the outcome. Sorry.

On a calmer note, we were treated to several minutes of a hummer sitting on top of a tiny sapling preening and warming itself as the sun spread its light.

Oh, the bluebird just returned to the house. More to come. . .

Tim

Sent from my iPad

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]