UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2011, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Arthur Mudge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Mudge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 10:38:52 -0400
MESSAGE:  I just checked this Tuesday morning, May 31, and learned there are
just five spaces left for this fine pelagic birding opportunity next Monday.

Subject: NH Audubon Annual Spring Pelagic Birding Trip

The Mascoma Chapter of New Hampshire Audubon Society is pleased to report
the following pelagic birding opportunity arranged by NH Audubon's
Massabesic Audubon Center:

WHAT: As in past years, this is an all-day boat trip into the central
Gulf of Maine, along Jeffrey's Ledge and adjacent waters.  Master
birder Steve Mirick will lead us in searching for pelagic birds,
whales, and whatever else crosses our path.

WHEN: Monday, June 6th.  We'll meet in the harbor at 7:30AM, depart
from dockside at 8:00AM, and return between 5:00 and 5:30 PM.
IMPORTANT: There will be no rain date for this trip.  We go on June
6th or not at all.

WHERE: Aboard the whale-and-bird-watching boat M/V _Granite State_, a
day-excursion boat owned by Granite State Whale Watch and based in
Rye Harbor, NH. She's 65 feet long, with an onboard snack bar,
enclosed main cabin, two passenger decks, and a full set of
navigation and safety equipment. Twin diesel engines give her a
cruising speed of 15-16 knots.  Captain Pete Reynolds and his crew
have decades of experience at finding birds and whales in the Gulf of Maine.

WHAT WE CAN EXPECT TO SEE: Last year birds were thin, but we managed
to log Northern Gannets, Northern Fulmars, Wilson's Storm-petrels,
Sooty Shearwaters, Red-necked Phalaropes (in full, gorgeous breeding
plumage), a number of migrants, and a number of near-shore
species.  We also got good looks at several whales of various
species.  This year we're giving the birds a week more to get here,
so we hope to see a lot more.

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars and bird guide, of course.  Bring a lunch
if you like.  A digital camera if you have one -- past trips have
produced excellent photo opportunities for both whales and
birds.  Weather on the open water is unpredictable: sometimes hot,
sometimes rather chilly.  Prepare for both.  Certainly bring
sunscreen, and either sunglasses or a hat.  Bring motion-sickness
pills if you're vulnerable to seasickness.  _Granite State_'s seating
is mostly wooden benches, so a seatcushion is a good idea if you have
trouble with sitting on hard surfaces.

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip.  We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip.  We've set a maximum of 50
so that the boat doesn't get too crowded.  Cost is $65 for NH Audubon
members, $85 for non-members.  Contact Massabesic Audubon Center
(phone 603-668-2045, email [log in to unmask]) to sign up.   Contact
either MAC or me with any questions you might have.

PELAGIC BIRDS WORKSHOP: For group members who are new to pelagic
birding, I will be running a 1-hour workshop at Massabesic Audubon
Center on Saturday June 4th on the basics of identifying pelagic
birds.  That workshop is free to trip participants, $5 per person for
others.  The workshop will include descriptions, photos, and videos
of the birds in question, all designed for people who know something
about birding but have no experience with pelagics.

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH
(Massabesic Audubon Center Programming Committee)