UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2018, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tig Tillinghast <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tig Tillinghast <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 08:04:27 -0500
> On Feb 7, 2018, at 7:51 AM, kmilk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> In the winter, we spread a bit of ashes from our wood stove on the garden (ashes being alkaline and our soil tends to be acidic).  This morning, I watched a pair of blue jays pecking about in the patch of ashes.  Only the jays seen doing this.  Has anyone else seen this interesting behavior?
>
> Norma Milkie
> Canaan, NH

From an 1884 collection of Brothers Grimm...

And as Cinderella wept at this, the step-mother said, "If you can pick two dishes of lentils out of the ashes for me in one hour, you shall go with us." And she thought to herself, that she most certainly cannot do again.

When the step-mother had emptied the two dishes of lentils amongst the ashes, the maiden went through the back-door into the garden and cried, "You tame pigeons, you turtle-doves, and all you birds beneath the sky, come and help me to pick the good into the pot, the bad into the crop." Then two white pigeons came in by the kitchen-window, and afterwards the turtle-doves, and at length all the birds beneath the sky, came whirring and crowding in, and alighted amongst the ashes. And the doves nodded with their heads and began pick, pick, pick, pick, and the others began also pick, pick, pick, pick, and gathered all the good seeds into the dishes, and before half an hour was over they had already finished, and all flew out again.

-Tig

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]