UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:05:24 -0400
This afternoon Ed Hack and I looked for birds in Windsor County, VT,
along and near Route 5 south from Exit 9 of I-91 in Hartland. Some
highlights follow.

At Lake Runnemede in Windsor, much of the western arm of the lake is
now free of ice and held 6 Canada Geese and 5 Hooded Mergansers. The
eastern arm is still ice covered. Two adult Bald Eagles and two
Northern Flickers were seen.  Song Sparrows, of which we estimated 25,
were widespread in the vicinity of the lake, particularly around the
farm field where herbaceous vegetation has become increasingly exposed
as the snow cover melts.

In Springfield Meadows (= Flats), numerous waterfowl were widely
spread over an extensive area of flooded farm fields. At least 275
Canada Geese were present, but our estimate is conservative. Other
birds included 40 Wood Ducks, 10 American Black Ducks, 15 Mallards,
and a Green-winged Teal. A Northern Mockingbird was again seen along
the Connecticut River.

The main channel of the section of the Connecticut River along our
route has within the past week lost nearly all of its ice cover,
although today small chunks of ice were still floating downstream. The
only location where we detected waterfowl in the river was near the
confluence of the Connecticut and Black Rivers, where several Common
Mergansers, a Hooded Merganser, and a Belted Kingfisher were seen.

George Clark
Norwich, VT