UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2014, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 08:53:32 -0400
Apologies for a tardy posting, but I was surprised on Saturday morning
to find a flock of at least 7 Red Crossbills in and around the
Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller NHP parking lot on Prosper Road.  As I pulled
in at 6:45 am, I noticed a group of birds on the gravel. Crossbills
never entered my mind, and I initially thought they were cowbirds.  They
scattered, but 7 birds quickly alighted again, at which point I looked
at them closely.  An adult male, adult female and 5 juveniles were
taking grit from the gravel surface.  They again flew up into the red
pines around the lot, and were calling. I think there may have been
other individuals present, but I can only be positive of the 7.

After the Bioblitz bird walk from 7-9, several of us returned and looked
thoroughly around the area, fanning out on the trails from the parking
lot, but the birds were nowhere to be found.  This is the same area
where at least a couple of Red Crossbill pairs nested two winters ago,
though I understand they haven't been seen or heard here so far in
2014.  It wouldn't be surprising if the group lingers, so additional
searching is warranted.  The species tends to be quite vocal, so
listening for calls may be a good way to find them.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies