UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2012, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:11:00 -0400
Today Ed Hack and I looked for birds in Springfield and Weathersfield,
VT, mainly in the vicinity of the North Springfield Reservoir. Some
highlights included a flock of 17 swimming Common Mergansers, 3
immature Bald Eagles together, an American Kestrel (along Thrasher
Road just east of I-91 in Weathersfield), numerous Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds at a time of plentiful jewelweed flowers, numerous Rose-
breasted Grosbeaks (at one location 10 were in sight at the same
time), and at least 40 Bobolinks in reservoir fields accessed through
Perkinsville. No Great Egrets or Tree Swallows were found today.
Although fairly extensive mud flats were exposed, Killdeer and Spotted
Sandpiper were the only shorebird species identified. Warbler species
encountered today included Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Green, Black-
and-white, American Redstart, and Common Yellowthroat.

George Clark
Norwich, VT