UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2023, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2023 06:51:47 -0400
Yesterday was a wonderful birding morning with a few delightful folks, some new friends and some old. We saw and heard many species here at Crossroad Farm and down in the Taylor Floodplain. The highlight was 6 American Pipits.

These stalwarts of the tundra appear in the fields here every year for a blink on their way to the Tundra or Mt. Washington to breed.  They are a tiny, sparrow size bird. They walk through the disturbed field with authority, moving up and down through the undulating, unprepared ground. They can be hard to see. However, they are not shy. When you do spot them, you are rewarded with a most subtle peachy, yellowish, cinnamon “underpart”.

Last evening, at the end of a long day preparing the field for the third seeding of corn, I got to spend some time with them. One more magic moment and one more reason I chose to farm.
Tim

Sent from my iPad

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]