UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2016, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:49:23 +0000
Two sightings from Saturday while working in the yard on Elm St., in Norwich, VT.  Submitted a little late.  Busy weekend.

The ruby-crowned kinglets were within a couple of feet from me in an apple tree I was finishing up pruning on Saturday.  The kinglets were hopping around picking little insects off the branches of the apple tree.  They didn't seem to mind I was only about 3-4 feet away, and kept at it for several minutes while I checked them out at close range.  Never seen one up this close.  Usually seen at a distance flitting through stands of hemlock in the woods.  Great look at the white eye-ring and the ruby (well, really rusty brown) crown.

The Towhee is a first for our yard in Norwich.  So unexpected that I heard the song a couple of times before the identity registered with me - we've never heard or seen one in over 20 years living on Elm St.  Sure enough, half an hour later it was scratching through the spilled sunflower seeds from the feeder.

Also heard and saw a Sharp Shinned Hawk soaring overhead, but can't remember whether it was Sat. or Sun.

Bill Schults

Co-list-owner, [log in to unmask]