UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2015, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:27:08 -0400
A Tuesday evening visit by VCE to the Mansfield ridgeline saw subdued
avian activity, probably a result of both strong winds and the fact that
most birds are now on nests, but the light show was one of the most
spectacular I've ever seen up there. The leading edge of a cold front
ushered in winds of 20-30 and a medley of swirling clouds that at times
bathed the Nose in light that was nothing short of transcendent. The
dusk chorus of thrushes and white-throats was subdued, and we caught
only 5 birds in our 15 mist nets.

Dawn found the ridgeline smothered in clouds and winds still strong,
temperatures in the high 40s. Vocal activity was again light. We opened
our nets and caught another 15 birds, the most surprising of which was a
yearling male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Nearly every female of the 6
species we netted had a well-developed incubation/brood patch,
indicating that nesting is in full swing. So far in June, we've captured
24 Bicknell's Thrushes, 9 of them new birds, 15 old friends (birds
banded in previous years). The operative sex ratio still seems to be
~2:1, with 16 males and 8 females to date.

Still not a red squirrel to be found anywhere, though plenty of snowshoe
hares.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer