UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mary Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 06:02:02 -0400
*Vermont

*Statewide

4.24.09

*VT0403.06

This is the Vermont Rare Bird Alert for April 24, covering the period April
17-23, 2009.

The birding highlights of the week include a BAR-HEADED GOOSE seen near the
Brattleboro water treatment plant on 4/18 - 4/20, a WHITE-WINGED SCOTER at
Delta Park in Colchester on 4/22, two CASPIAN TERNS at Little Otter Creek on
4/18 and 8 at Delta Park on 4/22.  The GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW in Orwell was
last reported as present on 4/22.

A LONG-TAILED DUCK was spotted on Lake Pauline in Ludlow on 4/23.

A GOLDEN EAGLE was seen at Lake Paran, near Cornwall, on 4/19.

The first LEAST FLYCATCHER of the season was spotted at Saxton's River this
week and the first BLUE-HEADED VIREOS were seen Middlebury (4/21) and
Hartland (4/22).

BANK SWALLOWS were first seen and reported this year at Otter View Park on
4/18.

The first MARSH WRENS of the season were sighted at Brilyea Access, Dead
Creek WMA (2 on 4/20).

A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, the first of the season, was spotted at Allen
Brothers Marsh in Westminster on 4/22

The first BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER reported this spring was seen in Putney on
4/19.

A LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, first of the season, was spotted in Huntington on
4/17.

The season's first INDIGO BUNTING was seen in Brandon on 4/22.

This being the final Vermont Rare Bird Alert, at least for the time being, I
want to thank all of the birders who have contributed sightings over the
years to the VT Bird Listserv, the Upper Valley Listserv, Vermont eBird, to
VINS and to VCE.  Your quick reporting, detailed directions and clarifying
photographs and videos have allowed many readers to share your birding
experiences.  The Listservs and Vermont eBird will continue to provide this
essential service.  Vermont eBird can do amazing things with these records,
but in order to do so, they need to receive your sightings, so please
continue to submit them.  I have gotten to know many of you by name through
my weekly compilations and my hope is that I'll be able to put a face to
your name one day when we meet in the field.  Good birding to you all!  Mary
Holland

This weekly Vermont birding report is a service of the Vermont Center for
Ecostudies (VCE).  VCE is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
understanding and conservation of birds and other wildlife.  With a reach
extending from northern New England through the Caribbean to South America,
our work in wildlife research and population monitoring unites people and
science for conservation.  Our offices are located in White River Junction.
Please visit VCE's web site at www.vtecostudies.org.

Please report your sightings of rare or unusual birds to VCE, or email
reports to [log in to unmask]  Better yet, enter your sightings on
Vermont eBird at http://ebird.org/content/vt/.

Mary Holland

Chris Rimmer

Kent McFarland