UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2015, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 21:53:43 -0400
Some may not want to hear this, but signs of the changing season are
upon us. Today's cooler temperatures and northerly air flow brought an
early autumn feel, and birds at Campbell Flats reflected it. A couple of
mixed warbler flocks and small foraging groups of fruit eaters may have
included some actual migrants. Most remarkable was the concentration of
Indigo Buntings. I conservatively counted 23 individuals around the
periphery of the corn field, at least 2/3 of them in the corn itself;
4-5 birds were singing full songs. What is it about this species and corn??

I also had a prolonged view of an immature Mourning Warbler at close
range. As usual, the hot spot of activity was in the northwest corner of
the corn field, along the mowed path that separates it from the river to
west and woods to north.

Selected highlights:

Canada Goose  33
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  6
Willow Flycatcher  2     calling
Warbling Vireo  1     singing
Red-eyed Vireo  2     1 singing
Common Raven  3
Barn Swallow  8
House Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
Veery  2     calling
Gray Catbird  12
Brown Thrasher  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Mourning Warbler  1 immature, excellent looks at close range
Common Yellowthroat  9
American Redstart  1
Yellow Warbler  4     2 singing
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  19
White-throated Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  2
Northern Cardinal  3     singing
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  6
Indigo Bunting  23     4-5 singing; total count is conservative; many birds in corn and difficult to count
Purple Finch  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24517702

--
Chris Rimmer