UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"David L. Webb" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David L. Webb
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 09:36:05 -0400
--- You wrote:
I have never heard of that happening before, where one species of bird helps another
species raise nestlings?!  It seems like it would be a horribly maladaptive
thing to do, wasting all that energy instead of either trying to re-nest or just
relax for the rest of the summer to try again next year. It seems so odd that
it tried to build a nest out in the open in the sun when I thought Chickadees
were only cavity nesters, too. I wonder if there is something seriously wrong
with the poor little bird's brain.

Maybe it's not that unusual and I've just never heard of it before. (?) Does anyone
have any other examples of it happening that they know of?
--- end of quote ---

	I don't know how common such behavior is, but it does occur.  I read an article
some years ago (I believe in _Smithsonian_) that mentioned a cardinal that had
lost its brood and was feeding carp in a pond!  The fish came to the surface,
opened their mouths wide, and the cardinal hovered over and dropped them tidbits
of food.  While I wasn't able to find the article online (it appeared years ago,
before the internet), I did find this, which even has a video:

<http://www.a-home-for-wild-birds.com/cardinal-and-goldfish.html>.

Really amazing!

			Best wishes,
			David Webb