UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 21:43:40 -0500
Greetings all!

Yesterday's inpromptu Grafton-Bristol CBC turned up a quite respectable 41
species, 1 short of tying the record - despite having a last minute crew
unfamiliar with the area, and basically ending by 1230 in the morning. I've
already heard from several people who've expressed interest in doing it
again next year, so I promise that there'll be a little more advance notice
my second time around.

We had 10 people in five teams, and I'd like to officially thank everyone
for a job well done: Len Reitsma, Barry Draper, Travis Filter, Bob Quinn,
Dave Howe, Jason Lambert, Stefan Mattlage, Becky Suomala, and Pat Myers.

The official results are as follows:

American Black Duck - 5
Mallard - 47
Common Goldeneye - 9
Hooded Merganser - 3
Common Merganser - 7
Wild Turkey - 9
Common Loon - 2
Bald Eagle - 3 (count high)
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Rock Pigeon - 86
Mourning Dove - 38
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER - 1 (new to count)
Downy Woodpecker - 15
Hairy Woodpecker - 9
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
Northern Shrike - 1
Blue Jay - 122
American Crow - 28
Common Raven - 17
Black-capped Chickadee - 319
Tufted Titmouse - 39
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 4
White-breasted Nuthatch - 39
Brown Creeper - 1
Carolina Wren - 1 (3rd count record)
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 11
EASTERN BLUEBIRD - 14 (new to count: one of the first species we all saw
while sorting out the day's plan in the library parking lot!)
HERMIT THRUSH - 1 (new to count)
American Robin - 62
Northern Mockingbird - 1 (2nd count record)
European Starling - 104
Bohemian Waxwing - 1
Cedar Waxwing - 7
American Tree Sparrow - 11
White-throated Sparrow - 1
Dark-eyed Junco - 15
Northern Cardinal - 1 (LOW!)
House Finch - 2 (LOW)
Common Redpoll - 316
American Goldfinch - 6
House Sparrow - 34

Our biggest miss was probably Pine Grosbeak, so if anyone is in this neck of
the woods Weds or Thursday - and sees a PIGR - please let me know! Ruffed
Grouse, Barred Owl, and Red-tailed Hawk are other options.

Until later this year!
Pam Hunt
interim Grafton-Bristol compiler
Penacook, NH